Do you know that you can add emojis in your charts, slicers, and worksheet names in Excel?
What are emojis?
Emojis, everyone knows what is it. There are small icons that we insert in a message to express your feelings. 🙂(happy) 😍 (love) 😎 (cool) 😲 (wow) 😱 (scary) 😡 (angry)
More, we can express events like Christmas🎄 , Victory🏆, Wedding 👰and also Objects ☎ 🔒 🚗 📸 🍺
Since Excel 2010, emojis can be added to your worksheets as names, used in formulas, charts, or slicers
How to insert emojis in Excel?
There are 2 ways to add emojis to your worksheets
- Open the emoji's dialog box with the shortcut Win key + ; (semi-colon)
- Then, just select the icon you want to add.
2 Virtual keyboard
1. Start by opening the virtual keyboard on the task bar. If the icon is not visible, Right-Click on the bar and check the option Show Touch Keyboard Button.
2. In the virtual keyboard, open the icons set.
3. Choose the emojis you want to insert.
Add other icons
But not all the emojis are listed in these 2 dialog boxes, like this icon.
Each icon has is own hexadecimal code (like 1F515 to display a silence mode). You can find the full list of this code on this page. Now in Excel, to insert an emoticon from its hexadecimal code, we will use 2 functions
- HEX2DEC will convert the hexadecimal code to decimal
- UNICHAR will turn this decimal code into emojis
And then you convert this formula with a copy-paste value.
Icon in color
- If you add icon in Excel desktop, the icon will be black and white
- But with a Mac or Excel Online, the icon will be in color
How icons could be used in Excel?
As worksheet name
You can also use icons as Worksheet name
Also, in a formula. In the following example, the prices of rooms are identified by emojis. The VLOOKUP function returns the result according to each icon.
You can use emoji as chart label.
Or you can add emojis in your Excel document to use them as a slicer.