What are emojis?
Emojis, everyone knows what is it. There are the small icons that we insert in a message to express your feeling. 🙂(happy) 😍 (love) 😎 (cool) 😲 (wow) 😱 (scary) 😡 (angry)
More, we can express events like Christmas🎄 , Victory🏆, Wedding 👰and also Objects ☎ 🔒 🚗 📸 🍺
Since Excel 2010, emojis can be added to your worksheets as name, use in formulas, charts or slicers
How to insert emojis in Excel?
There is 2 ways to add emojis in your worksheets
- Open the emoji's dialog box with the shortcut Win key + ; (semi-colon)
- Then, just select the icon you want to add.
2 Virtual keyboard
1. Start by opening the virtual keyboard on the task bar. If the icon is not visible, Right-Click on the bar and check the option Show Touch Keyboard Button.
2. In the virtual keyboard, open the icons set.
3. Choose the emojis you want to insert.
Add other icons
But not all the emojis are in this 2 dialog boxes, like this icon.
Each icon has is own hexadecimal code (like 1F515 to display a silence mode). You can find the full list of this code in this page.
Now in Excel, to insert an emoticon from its hexadecimal code, we will use 2 functions
- HEX2DEC will convert the hexadecimal code to decimal
- UNICHAR will turn this decimal code into emojis
And then you convert this formula with a copy-paste value.
Icon in color
When you add icons in Excel desktop they are black and white. But when you open the same workbook on Excel Online, you can see them in color 😃
How icons could be used in Excel?
As worksheet name
You can also use icons as Worksheet name
Also, in a formula. In the following example, the prices of rooms are identify by emojis. The VLOOKUP function return the result in function of each icons.
Certainly the best way to use emojis is to use them in a chart
Also, if you create a column with emojis, you can use them with slicers
It consultancy Australia
11/11/2022 @ 09:40
Thank you so much for this article! This was exactly what I needed.
10/01/2020 @ 19:59
This website was... how ddo you say it? Relevant!!
Finally I have found something that helpd me.
Frédéric LE GUEN
10/01/2020 @ 20:56