This is the most commonly formula used and also the simplest to use. We will see in this page, different methods to perform a SUM in Excel.
Presentation of the SUM function
To perform a SUM function in Excel
- You simply start with the = sign in your cell
- Then, you enter the word SUM
- Then you open a parenthesis.
- Select all the cells that you want to include in your sum
- Don't forget to close the parenthesis
Using the icon bar
Instead of writing the formula directly in the cell, you can use the symbol Sigma in the ribbon (tab Home)
The method is simple. You can either
- Select the cell to add and then click on the icon
- Or, select the cells under your range of cells you want to add and then press
You can easily insert the function SUM with the shortcut Alt+=
|Alt + =||Insert the function SUM in your active cell|
You can create a dynamic sum by using the INDEX function. This is more for advanced Excel users