What is a Gantt chart?
Download the file
If you don't want to follow the next steps and open the file with the Gantt chart already done, download the following document.
To create a Gantt chart, you must have a table with
- The tasks' name
- Starting dates
- And the number of days to do each task
Step 1: Return the number of working days
In Excel, 1 is one day (see the page about the date). And a common mistake is to add the start date with the number of days.
Step 2: Gap in days (including the weekend)
When you create a Gantt chart, more than the ending date, you must also have the number of days including the weekends between the ending date and the starting date. The formula is quite simple.
And that's all for the calculation ! 😍😉😃 Nothing complex at all.
Now it's time to create the chart
Step 3: Choice of the chart
To create a Gantt chart, you have to create a horizontal stacked bar chart
But for the moment, the chart doesn't looks like a Gantt chart 🤔
Step 4: Remove series of data
Here, we need to remove the series that are not useful. In fact, the 2 series we must kept are
- The starting date
- The gap in days (including the weekends)
To remove some series of your chart, you have to open the dialog box "Select Data Source". To do that, you have 2 ways
- With the ribbon Design > Select Data
- Right-click on your chart and select the menu Select Data
In the dialog box, unchecked the number of days of the tasks and the ending date.
Select a specific chart element
For the next steps, it is important to know how to select easily a chart element like axis, series, title, ....
- Select your chart
- Go to the tab Format
- On the left you have a drop-down list with all the chart elements
- Select the one you want to modify
- Click on the button Format Selection (just under)
Step 5: Change the vertical axis
- Double-click on the vertical axis to show the Axis pane
- In the Axis pane, select the option Categories in reverse order
Step 6: Change the starting date on the axis
First we need to know the value in days of the first date of our model. To do that, we just have to change the number format in General.
- The minimum date value = The number in General format
- The major unit = 7 (number of days in a week)
- Label position = High
- Format number = Date
The Gantt chart looks better now but we have one more step.
Step 7: Hide the first bar
- Select the option Format Data Series
- Select the Painting option
- Fill = No Fill
- Border = No Fill
Your chart is now over
Improving the design
Use your artistic talent to add some beautiful colors and labels 🎨🧐