Text functions are convenient to extract a part of a cell.
In the following examples, you will see in many examples how to extract a part of a cell
Table of Contents
We want to extract the dialing code of cells. The dialing code is the first 3 digits of the phone number. To extract these figures, we will use the function LEFT.
Function has the following writing:
It is also possible to extract a part of a string in the middle. To do that, you will use MID function.
To write this function, you must
- First, put the reference of the cell
- Second, indicate the position where you want to start the extraction
- Third, indicate the number of characters you want to extract
In this example
- 20 represents the number of characters to start
- 8 represents the phone number (7 digits + the dash)
Extract text without formula
If you work with Excel 2013 or earlier, you can extract a text without formula.
But the FlashFill perform the extraction on-the-fly. If your data will be refresh, the extract will not be refresh.