The sign & is very useful in Excel.
- Just add the & symbol to link 2 items
You can link cells, text, or text and cells
- Don't forget the spaces
According to the situation, you must also manage the space and the writing of the formula is more complex
How to add Text with cell content?
Let's start with this example where you have a list of room numbers in column A. To clarify the content of your cells, you want to add the word Room: before each room number.
It's in this situation that the & sign will be very helpful.
- Start with the = sign to create your formula
- Write the text "Room: "
- Add the & sign
- Indicate the reference of the cell, like A2 in the example
Your formula is
- The text is written between double-quotes. In Excel, when you use a text in your formula, you must always write it between double-quotes.
- We have written "Room: " (with a space at the end) and not "Room:". This is important to "separate" both items. Otherwise, we have this result.
How to link 2 cells together?
Now, we want to link 2 cells together, like in this example with name and first name. But we also want to add a space between the name and the first name
- Write the sign =
- Select the cell A2
- Add the sign & to create a link
- Write a space and don't forget the double quotes because it's a text
- Once again, add a new sign &
- Finally, select the second cell, B2
If you simply write =A2&B2, there is no error but the text is not readable because there is no space.
You can also use an Excel function, like PROPER, to capitalize the first letter of the name.