The functions TODAY and NOW are 2 functions extremely important.
They allow you to create dynamic workbooks using the system date on your computer.
We will use these functions to create workbooks such as
- Automatic calendar
- Worker timesheet
- Follow-up of supplier payments
- Delivery delays
Presentation of the functions
To view the current day, use the following formula
To display the date and the time, you should use the following formula.
- Parentheses are compulsory even if the function doesn't expect any parameter.
- The cell is automatically formatted in date.
Why use a function instead of writing the date?
Yes, why use a function when it is easier to enter the date directly in a cell? And even better with the shortcut CTRL+ ; (control key + semicolon)
Unfortunately, this date will not change any more because it is written in hard copy.
While writing either TODAY or NOW, the date will automatically change day after day 😍😍😍
Exercise with the function TODAY
What is the point of using TODAY or NOW in a worksheet?
This function is very useful for automatically calculating date gap, such as
- Payback period
- Invoicing delay
In the example, you have some customers who have not yet paid their bills 😡 (the date in column C is empty).
So, in case the cell containing the payment dates is empty, we will use the current date.
We will first create a test if the date is empty or not. So here the result is TRUE or FALSE but we are going to change that.
If the date is empty (previous test = TRUE), then we will perform a subtraction between the current date, returns by TODAY, and the date of order.
Finally, we put these two elements in an IF function
- Convert YYYYMMDD to DD/MM/YYYY
- First day – Last day in Excel
- Date Format in Excel
- Add Days Excluding the Weekend
- Split Time and Date
- Function DATE – YEAR – MONTH – DAY
- Using conditional formatting to highlight dates
- Weekends or weekdays in Excel
- Title with date in Excel
- Difference between 2 dates – DATEDIF